Virtual Parent Workshop: Financial Aid Process
Are you a parent interested in learning more about how your child can pay for college?
In partnership with the Health Education Council, Folsom Lake College will be presenting on the financial aid process, FAQ's regarding FAFSA, and sharing resources. Join us virtually on February 8th from 6-7 PM to learn more!
Register Today for the Zoom link!
Ventanilla de Asesoría Financiera y Protección al Patrimonio (VAF)
Recognizing the important link between financial health and physical health, HEC staff coordinates and implements VAF or Financial Window.
VAF provides free, culturally and linguistically appropriate financial assistance and financial education for the Mexican and Hispanic community living in the 24 county jurisdiction of the Mexican Consulate of Sacramento.
|29||30||May 31||Jun 1||2||3||4|
This month does not have any events.
Prior to COVID-19, while at the Sacramento Mexican Consulate, specially-trained HEC staff provided:
- Direct financial advice on the protection of patrimony
- Personal navigation to access financial institutions
- Access to the opening of checking/savings accounts in 24 Northern California counties and in Mexico
- Tax preparation referrals
- Education on credit enhancement and debt reduction, budgeting, housing, retirement funds, and pensions
- Financial Literacy workshops for high school students
While no longer providing direct service, HEC staff is still connecting the community to the services mentioned above, in a remote capacity. HEC staff is working closely with the Sacramento Mexican Consulate to host Facebook Live events.
2020 Facebook LIVE Events
- Filing Taxes and Stimulus Checks – A conversation with Irma Trevino from the IRS
- Paid Leave under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act – A conversation with Veronica Melendez from CRLAF
- How to Protect Yourself Against Fraud – A conversation with Alma Galvan from the Better Business Bureau
- Everything You Need to Know About Bank Accounts
- Banking with BBVA
- Personal Banking
- Sales Tax & Usage
- Life and Home Insurance
- Small Businesses
2021 Facebook LIVE events (Coming Soon)
You can also call us at (916) 329-3502 M-F from 9AM-2PM or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programma Empresarial Hispano
HEC's “Hispanic Entrepreneurship Program” supports and equips Spanish-speaking small business owners and entrepreneurs through multi-session workshops in Spanish, business mentoring and coaching as well as a networking group partnering with a wide variety of organizations including the Mexican Consulate of Sacramento, Small Business Development Center (SBDC) and the California Hispanic Chamber.
HEC’s entrepreneur program focuses on Latino, often immigrant, small business owners who enter our program with a strong desire to build a better life for their families and often have a life-long goal of owning a business. But for systemic reasons, don’t feel welcome in traditional incubator programs, making it extremely difficult for traditional small business programs to assist these entrepreneurs.
Prior to COVID-19, the program held three one-day workshops and one multi-series workshop in Sacramento and Stockton for Spanish-speaking entrepreneurs. Participants traveled from remote counties to learn how to strengthen their businesses by mastering business licensing, taxes, marketing, human resources, and budgeting. Almost 200 people participated in these events. At the start of COVID-19 all workshop series were put on hold and pivoted to zoom workshops. A total of three zoom workshops were hosted in follow up to the last cohort group hosted in February 2020 reaching a total of 45 individuals.