Don't Buy The Lie Contest
The Health Education Council, with support from Kaiser Permanente is excited to bring you 'Don't Buy the Lie 2022'!
Our organizations recognize that for decades the tobacco industry has aggressively manipulated youth to addict them as the next generation of users. Now, vaping and marijuana industries are using these old tactics to gain new customers.
Don’t Buy The Lie is an opportunity for youth to unmask tobacco and vaping industries and show who they really are.
Youth in Grades 6-12 from Yolo, Placer, and Sacramento County are invited to use their innovative minds to create unique contest entries for a chance to win up to $1,000 in prizes.
Who can enter the contest?
- Students in grades 6-12 from Yolo, Placer, and Sacramento County
How to Enter
- Watch the videos provided by Health Education Council about the lies of tobacco, vaping and marijuana companies. As you watch and are thinking ideas for you contest submission, you can ask yourself the following questions:
- How does this problem affect you and other youth?
- What is the most startling thing you learned?
- What do you think needs to be done about the targeted marketing of communities of color?
- Create your artwork (visual/performance). Using your preferred form of media, creatively express your concerns about tobacco and vaping is having on your generation with your peers. Make sure to read through Contest Rules & Guidelines before creating your artwork.
- Submit your original artwork through the website! Be prepared to upload a file (JPEG, PNG, PDF, MP4) and signed waiver with parental consent in the registration.
Rules & Guidelines
- Participants must be enrolled in the 6th-12th grade.
- The online entry must be anti-tobacco/vaping/marijuana.
- Only original artwork (Visual and Performance)
- Dance, Poetry, Song, Drawing, Skit, Painting, Digital Art, and more
- No photographs, images or videos from the internet, or other copyrighted material. Do not use cartoon or comic characters (i.e. Mickey Mouse, Joe Camel, etc.
- 15 seconds to 1 minute maximum for videos
- Write BOLD and CLEAR and use BRIGHT colors.
- Do not use themes associated with death (i.e. graveyards, skulls, etc.)
- In order to be eligible for consideration, the entry form must be completely filled out and signed by the student and parent/guardian.
Contest entries and registration must be submitted online by May 31, 2022. Winners will be announced via email by June 2022.
Don't Buy The Lie Videos
*Please note this is just one example and we encourage creative new ideas that address your concerns about the effects vaping, marijuana, and targeted marketing is having on YOUR generation.